I made this dress earlier this spring, but I was so busy I never got around to properly sharing it and doing a write up. I love how it turned out. And it really makes a statement and gets attention when you wear it.
Pattern Used: Vogue 1259. I used a size 12 which is the size I usually go for with knits.
Fabric Used: Taupe ITY. I think ITY is perfect for this pattern. You need a slinky knit that is thin and has good shape retention. You really want to avoid a delicate knit because there’s a lot of fabric handling with this pattern.
First off the best tips for this dress can be found here:
She really took a lot of time to go over the construction of this dress. I wouldn’t even begin to know how to explain to someone how to make it without them being in front of me, dress in hand.
The most important tip to remember is to use tailor tacks and to color code them. There are LOTS of marks and they are integral to putting the garment together.
Here’s what I have to add- the directions are terrible, lol. I really don’t think the pattern is “Advanced” but the directions are so ridiculous that it takes you a lot of time trying to figure out what is exactly going on. I used them to start off, but then once it started coming together and I figured out what was going on, I did it my own way. The best thing I can recommend during construction is to use common sense. If something seems weird, or just not right, use your best judgement.
A few examples that I can think of are- how they want you to hem the front piece that drapes over the front. The direction say to use a wide 1” hem and to hand sew it (atleast I think that’s what they said). I just did a rolled hem, which worked out great. And the directions have you finish your seams at first, but then just completely stops mentioning it later. These are just two examples off the top of my head. I also didn’t use the exposed seam going across the back because I thought it looked much cleaner to use a regular seam.
There are some issues with the upper center back piece (the slit area). It’s too long, but you can’t really do anything about it once its cut. The back collar could definitely be better. I think the best way to do it, if I had to do it over, is to use buttons and loops. I’m not 100% happy with the way it looks, but luckily my hair covers it.
Garment Detail Pics on Dressform:
Since I used stash fabric (still working to get it down), I didn’t have enough for the skirt. And maybe that worked out for the best, because it seems there were some problems with the skirt based on other reviews. I ended up using OOP New Look 6188 (a great pattern BTW). I straightened the hem instead of using the asymmetrical hemline.
New Look 6188:
Conclusion: I love this outift and I have to say that this is my favorite project ever. I would definitely recommend this pattern. The directions make it more complicated than it needs to be, but the finished results are sooo worth it.