I was really nervous about how these would turn out because the pleats and elastic waistband, but I’m very happy with them. And they go great with my zebra racerback tank sewn from Simplicity 2317.
Fabric Used: It’s a silk/rayon blend from Gail K. It looks like silk shantung, a very slight sheen w/ some slubs, but it has a lighter weight and very soft drape. For the sash, I used a poly satin repurposed from an old garment that I made a million years ago.
One of the things I liked about this pattern is that the shorts are pull on (there’s no closure), but they didn’t look frumpy to me. I ended up having to add 6” to the waistband to make it fit over my big ole hips and butt. Also, I used the size 12, but I think I should’ve gone up to the 14 just to have some more ease overall.
Other minor adjustments include:
-Crotch adjustment that I usually make
-cut off 2” from the length
-lengthened the ties to make a bow
-separated the pocket pieces in order to make the pocket bags out of lining fabric
Overall, pretty straight forward and easy to sew. And the instructions are good.
The only real deviation I made was my waistband treatment. I used wide elastic instead of the casings for two rows of 1/4” wide elastic. Rows of the 3 step zigzag are sewn on top of the waistband after the elastic was inserted. Here’s a close up:
Closer Front Detail:
Conclusion: I like my new shorts and I would recommend the pattern.