Lauren's Virtual World

Monday, August 6, 2012

Review: Simplicity 1808

Here’s my newest finish project the shorts from Simplicity 1808 (if you look closely you will also notice this pattern is also Simplicity 1887):

ShortsComp

I was really nervous about how these would turn out because the pleats and elastic waistband, but I’m very happy with them.  And they go great with my zebra racerback tank sewn from Simplicity 2317.

Fabric Used:  It’s a silk/rayon blend from Gail K.  It looks like silk shantung, a very slight sheen w/ some slubs, but it has a lighter weight and very soft drape.  For the sash, I used a poly satin repurposed from an old garment that I made a million years ago. 

Pattern Notes:

One of the things I liked about this pattern is that the shorts are pull on (there’s no closure), but they didn’t look frumpy to me. I ended up having to add 6” to the waistband to make it fit over my big ole hips and butt.  Also, I used the size 12, but I think I should’ve gone up to the 14 just to have some more ease overall. 

Other minor adjustments include:

-Crotch adjustment that I usually make

-cut off 2” from the length

-lengthened the ties to make a bow

-separated the pocket pieces in order to make the pocket bags out of lining fabric

Construction Notes:

Overall, pretty straight forward and easy to sew.  And the instructions are good.

The only real deviation I made was my waistband treatment.  I used wide elastic instead of the casings for two rows of 1/4” wide elastic.  Rows of the 3 step zigzag are sewn on top of the waistband after the elastic was inserted.  Here’s a close up:

Shorts3

Closer Front Detail: 

Shorts4

Conclusion:  I like my new shorts and I would recommend the pattern.

5 comments:

  1. They fit great! I would be afraid of elastic waist too, but they came out superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice comment. I really like the way they came out, too.

      Delete
  2. Great work and I love the combo you put together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! I made that shirt a year and a half ago and it has turned into a wardrobe staple. It goes with so many things in my closet, lol.

      Delete
  3. I love the way you finished the elastic waist! I just made these shorts as well and I have to say the waistband was my least favorite feature. I made the elastic end at the side seam and I have plans to add back welt pockets and belt loops. Maybe if I have on a belt I can tuck in a shirt with these shorts. Otherwise, I agree it is a great pattern and yours turned out so cute!

    Also nice to hear you mention Gail K's. I have been there before and love it! Anytime I go to ATL, it is on my list of places to stop.

    Happy sewing! :)
    Katrina
    www.SusieHomemakerMD.com

    ReplyDelete

Google