Lauren's Virtual World

Friday, December 16, 2011

Tip: Buttonholes on Difficult Fabric


I’ve seen a lot of people complain about buttonholes on thick fuzzy fabric so I thought I would share a trick that works for me.  Sulky Water Soluble Stabilzer works wonders and makes smooth machine buttonholes. 


1)  I take a long strip of stabilizer and just wrap it around (front and back) the entire area that I’m going to stitch buttonholes on.  I pin it in place and them mark my buttonholes with a pen.




2) Stitch buttonholes using your machine instructions.




3) Rip away Sulky, and wipe with a wet cloth.  Finish your buttonhole however you normally do- clip, seal with fray check, etc


4) Voila!  Clean smooth buttonholes on thick, tweedy fabric.




This is also the method that I used to make the buttonholes on my Boyfriend Cardigan which was sewn with a thick sweater knit.  I haven’t had this method fail me yet. 

Monday, December 12, 2011

BWOF 4/09 #112



Pattern Used:  BWOF 4/09 #112


Fabric:  Slightly sheer, lightweight b&w stripe sweater knit from EOS, Bamboo/Cotton Baby Rib from for contrast.  Again, all from the stash.

Pattern Notes:

This is a pretty straight forward pattern.  It’s a basic raglan sleeve tee.  Don’t worry, it’s not as low as the tech drawing makes it seem.  The only change is that I added a contrast neck binding and a hem band.


Another great pattern from Burda that I highly recommend.

Sunday, December 11, 2011

FNSI Recap

Okay, so I’m late with my recap, but I did spend my Friday night sewing.  I don’t have any pretty FO to show because I did a lot of prep work.  I’m going to do my first pair of jeans!  They’re not for me, though.  They’re for T.  On Friday, I finished up all the pattern work and I cutout all the pieces.  Not exciting, but necessary to the process.  I’m using the following pattern:

BWOF 11/05 #137


I figure a mini pair of jeans would be good practice before I sewed a pair for me.  Plus, I’m not too happy with a lot of jeans I’ve been seeing in the stores for little girls.  Is it just me, but is it hard to find a pair of jeans for a little girl that are not super tight skinnies?  I chose this pattern because they are a regular, more traditional style bootcut jean.


I am also including a pattern review of my finished pair of shorts from my last FNSI to show that I do finish stuff I start.  These did sit around as a UFO for awhile, but I ended up finishing them in the middle of October.  I can’t wear them now, but it will be nice to have a pair of shorts when it starts to get hot again.

Pattern: BWOF 7/09 113

Fabric Used: Beige Linen Blend from the stash

Front On:

Side On:

Front Flat:

Pattern Notes:

I really like the end result- a nice trouser style pair of shorts.  The nice thing about Burda is that the pattern matches the model photo.  There are some things you might not notice something until you finish the project and see it on yourself.  But when you go back to the model pic, it’s definitely there.  For example, this pattern sits higher on the waist than contemporary cloths, and the pockets don’t completely lie flat.  When I went back to look at the pic, this is definitely evident.  It’s a little different from what I’m used to, but I still like the shorts a lot.

I made my normal alterations- lengthen back crotch length and big butt adjustment (that’s what I call it).  I didn’t do the extended tab on the waistband.  I also left the back plain- no pockets.  I’ll admit it was more laziness than a design feature.

Conclusion:  I definitely recommend this pattern.  It’s a nice basic that’s well drafted.  I love Burda!

Wednesday, December 7, 2011



Yeah, it’s that time again. If you haven't signed up yet be sure to sign up here.


BWOF 2/08 #131

I’ve been gone for awhile, but I’ve been sewing. How’s this for irony? I was waiting until I lost weight to make pants.  Since it wasn’t happening, I made a pair of pants, and then I lost weight.  I’m back to my old weight and I’m so happy.  I didn’t really follow a plan, I just made a point to eat a lot less.  Luckily, I kept a lot of my old cloths, so I feel like I have a whole new wardrobe. 

I’ve spent a lot of my sewing time making alterations for myself and for others for money.  I have managed to fit in a few projects to show, though.  I haven’t had enough money to spend on fabric so I’ve been working through my stash. 

My most recent project is a Fall coat for T.


Pattern:  BWOF 2/08 #131 (I heart Burda)


Fabric:  Tweedy B&W Houndstooth from the stash

Pattern Notes:

I liked the shape and style of this coat.  The only drawback is that is is drafted without any faces, lining, or pockets.  Of course, I didn’t realize that when I picked it out from the tech drawing.  I just ended up drafting facings and a lining.  To keep it simple, I just added inseam pockets.  I also took off the cuffs. I should’ve lengthen the belt because it it way too short.

Conclusion:  I think this is the cutest coat and T loves it!  She always gets lots of compliments on it.  I think it’s a good pattern, but just remember that there’s no facings, linings, or pockets.  Because of the simple, classic lines, I think it’s best for a lighter spring coat in a very busy fabric.

Here’s some extra pics:


Belt Loops:

Sparkly, Fun Buttons:


Also, I got T to take some pics of the khaki pants just so you can see what they look like on. They’re a little looser since I lost weight, but they still fit okay.  I did get some back shots, but I couldn’t bring myself to put my butt online.