Lauren's Virtual World

Monday, July 25, 2011

Hot Patterns Nomad Hobo

Yay, I just finished my first bag!

Pattern Used: Hot Pattern Nomad Hobo (Free!)

e6506d10ef32__1310673023000

ce930498791e__1310673114000

Inside:

e50553e36a65__1310752775000

02c58d5b9d56__1310672767000

I used a metal zipper b/c that was on hand and in a matching color. Yeah, the magnetic closures are silver and the zipper is gold. I’m really trying to use what I have on hand.

Fabric: Linen blend, cotton lining, both from stash. In fact, I didn’t buy anything new for this bag. All materials were on hand.

Pattern Notes:

Ok, so you can’t complain about a free pattern right.

Putting the Kimono Tee pattern together was easier than this one. It wasn’t necessarily hard, just not as user friendly. The Kimono Tee had guidelines to help you, but this one this one was like a puzzle. Towards the end, I felt like I was playing battleship- Row 5, column 7, row 3, column 6, and so forth. I traced the pieces after I put it together to true everything up.

There are a lot of reviews on PR about this pattern, and the main issue is that the magnetic closures and pockets are instructed to be sewn in the wrong spot. This is a huge mistake so it’s important to be aware of it before you sew it.

I’m not too crazy about how they have you put the handles together. I can’t put it into words exactly, but I really can’t imagine it giving good results. I did this method w/ my racerback tank dress, and it worked well in that situation. The difference is bulk and size of the seams. This is not a good method, IMO, for this bag. I followed their method for the most part but sewed it in the round inside the handles instead of flat. There was still a lot of bulk, and it was such a tiny area to sew inside, that I’m really not happy with how the seam looks. But I just left it. I’m really anal, but I don’t think most people would notice unless I pointed it out. I'm sorry I don't have a good solution for it because I'm still working it out in my mind. I have some ideas, but I haven't put any of them to the test. Just something to think about if you are planning on making the bag.


df97da38bcae__1310672651000

Eww, I know! Edge stitching makes it look worse, but I really felt it needed the extra stitching for durability.

I also edge stitched around all the seams to help everything lay flat and it give it a little more structure.

8001e4d28a14__1310672811000

70b52bb56e44__1310672853000

(My cell phone left shadows in all the pics, but I’m still camera-less)

I sound like I’m being hard on this pattern, but I really don’t mean to. Aside from the huge pocket location mistake in the instructions, its pretty straightforward and it looks like the pic. I think it’s a great pattern to introduce sewing bags.

Conclusion: I’m ok with the bag. It makes a nice casual bag. After I wore out my last big bag, I haven’t replaced it, and this makes a suitable substitute. I would definitely recommend it if you like the style.

This bag was really meant to be practice, though. I have grand aspirations of making the Hot Patterns Hommage Tote in black leather I have in the stash. I want some more practice before I attempt it thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google