Lauren's Virtual World

Friday, July 15, 2011

Burdastyle Kimono Tee

Ever since downloading patterns became popular, I’ve always been pretty skeptical about them.  Seriously who wants to sit taping pages and pages and pages together,  not to mention all the paper and ink you’re using up.  Plus, I was skeptical about being able to retain the patterns accuracy. 

Well I bit the bullet and made my first project from a downloaded pattern.

272112b7e559__1310577378000

Pattern Used: Burdastyle Kimono Tee.  Extra bonus is that it’s free!

Fabric: Modal Spandex Jersey

Pattern Notes: 

The downloading, printing, and taping process was less laborious than I thought it would be.  This pattern has gridlines around each page which made it easy to match up.  I can’t imagine having to do this w/ something more complex, though.  I do think you lose some accuracy, too.  It’s hard to tape completely flat, so I did end up tracing (yeah, I’m a tracer) after it was all taped together.  Be prepared, this pattern piece is huge, so you’ll need a large place to lay and cutout.

I used the largest size because I wanted it to be easy fitting.  I didn’t really make any changes, except for omitting the tie.  I just made a regular hem on my coversitch. 

The sewing part was a cinch.  It’s a kimono tee, all you really need to do is sew the side seams, finished your edges and your done!  I think I would make more just for that fact alone.  The pattern recommends binding but I just finished my neckline by turning and stitching.  Nothing fancy. 

c1cfc7f70a59__1310356555000

One thing I do like about this pattern is it’s versatility.  The look can completely change with your fabric.  You can make it more dressy or casual.  It will be even more drapy w/ a slinky jersey.   You can even lengthen it to a tunic or dress.  You can use a smaller size and make it more fitted.   You can make the neckline deeper or even into a V-neck.  The possibilities go on and on.

Conclusion: I feel like the tee is kind of “meh” but really, I can’t get mad at a simple, black tee for being a simple, black tee.  I like the kimono sleeves, but it doesn’t really transform it beyond an ordinary tee like I thought it would.  It is what it is and I’m sure I will get a lot of wear out of it.  

Now why am I strangely attracted to the Batwing Top, too.  Walk away from the big, baggy, shapeless top, Lauren, just walk away.

Have I converted to downloads?  Not really, but I do have the HP Nomad Hobo saved on my computer and I plan on making it soon.

3 comments:

  1. Love it, and even more now I know it's free lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! And yes, I LOVE free :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome Tee! Wondering if you still have the PDF, I've spent most of my day searching for it to find that BurdaStyle have removed it from their site :(

    ReplyDelete

Google