Lauren's Virtual World

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Simplicity 2317

I had it stuck in my head that I wanted a racerback maxi tank dress. So I used the tank top from Simplicty 2317 and came up with this:

Front:

039

Back:

040


Fabric Used: Bamboo/Cotton Jersey from Fabric.com

Pattern Notes: I'm so happy Simplicity came out with this because I thought I was gonna have to draft this from scratch. As soon as I was getting ready to start this project, I found this pattern on sale at Hancock's.

I didn't do binding. Instead, I self lined the bodice for a little extra coverage and support. It gave it a very clean finish which is what I was looking for.

041

Here’s how the self lining looks:

043

Alterations:

I obviously lengthened this into a maxi dress. I did create the bottom portion to be fitted around the hips, and flare out at the bottom, starting around the knee

I raised the neckline on the pattern 1/2" b/c it seems I always need to do that lately. The neckline ended up perfect.

I also had to take it in a LOT. I quickly basted the front and back together to check fit. I took in 2" on the underam side seam and an inch on the strap. That's pretty typical with a lot of knit patterns. And its easy to fix, so I wasn't bothered by that.

This is the first time I used Design Plus Super Fine Stay Tape and it really "stays." I usually use strips of Pro Sheer interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply. That holds, but it it has more give than this stay tape. Well my neckline and armholes are a little tight now, lol. But it's good to know how it reacts for the future.

Conclusion:This dress is a great staple. I can wear it alone, with a moto-style leather jacket, and even with a sweater over it as a maxi skirt. I actually think I want another one in nude. I have some VW ITY in nude that I've been wanting to use for a wrap dress, but I might use it for this instead.

As for the pattern itself, I think it's a great racerback tank. I also like the pj options.

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a turning that racerback tank into a dress! Very stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx for the comment. I can't wait to see what you come up with next, too.

    ReplyDelete

Google