Lauren's Virtual World

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

New Look 6429

So when my computer died, all my recent photos died along with it. I had most of the recent stuff I made saved on there so it's looks like I'll have to re-take most of my photos. Grr! I'm so mad I didn't more stuff to photobucket. I even had my sis take photos of me in everything when I visited Chicago. Well here's a FO while I whine and complain.

Pattern: NL 6429

Description: Knit faux wrap dress w/ sleeve and collar variations

Fabric Used: Rayon/ Lycra jersey from EOS

Front:

Photobucket

Back:

Photobucket

Pattern Notes: All I have to say is that this is a great pattern. It's such a classy style that would look great on just about all figure types. I didn't have any real issues with the pattern. Everything went together great. And the instructions are very clear. This is also very easy and fast to sew. I was surprised at how quick I had a brand new dress. The fitting and alteration is what took the most time.

One of the things I really liked about this pattern is how shaped the pattern pieces are. It gives you a lot of fitting room if you are using a more stable knit. And it really flatters curves. I don't know how visible it is in the picture, but there's a lot of cute seaming detail. And don't worry, it's a lot pieces, but they aren't hard to sew and they all fit together right.

The only thing to be aware of with this pattern is that the neckline is supper low. I had to raise it a few inches. This might not be a problem for others because I always seems to have too low neckline. It wasn't unwearable before, but I wanted this dress to work as a day dress, too, so I needed to tone down all the boob. I rarely make a muslin (bad, I know) so I had to do this on the garment. I raised it the shoulder seam. The neckline fits great now, but it did leave one of my pieces a little short. It's the piece that wraps inside. I just used 2 thread chain to tack it to the side seams and I have no problems. Honestly with the adjustment it stays in place even without the thread chains, but I did it because it looks better inside that just having a floating piece.

The pattern calls for a facing but I used an inside binding on the neckline. I'm not a big fan of facings on knits so I was playing around with some other methods. This was the first time I tried this and I like it. It's stabilized the neckline and it still gives the neckline a clean finish, except for the top coverstitching of course.

Conclusion: I highly recommend it. I made my neckline adjustments on the pattern so next time I can sew it up super quick. With the different sleeve and collar options you really have a lot of variety from pretty summer dress to going out dress (u can use the regular low neck, lol) to work dress. And you can't beat how easy it is.

1 comment:

Google