Lauren's Virtual World

Friday, August 6, 2010

Simplicty 3503

My friend wanted me to make her a maxi dress. She's 5'2'' and all the ones she likes are always too long. Although I wanted to make a woven style dress, I couldn't find the fabric I wanted. And you have to let the fabric speak to you.

When I saw this fabric at GorgeousFabrics.com, speak it did. And when I received, I loved it even more. It's the softest, most vibrant rayon jersey. I LOVE it! Combined with Simplicity 3503, it made an awesome maxi dress. I made view C, the halter maxi.

Front:
Photobucket

(Doesn't my friend look great)

Back:

Photobucket

Inside:

Photobucket

In case you're wondering how the lining looks, here you go. Note, there is no lining piece for the back bodice b/c the elastic casing.

Likes/Dislikes:
This is a great pattern. It's easy to sew and the results look amazing. I definitely have to recommend this pattern

My only gripe is all the bulk. There is a LOT of bulk in this pattern. For example, the front bodice and lining bodice has pleats, and you sew a 2 layer strap in between that. I had to break out my hammer and do a lot of steaming. But in the end it looks good. I would recommend taking the pleats out of the lining bodice and making a separate pattern piece. I didn't b/c I was being lazy. Bad, I know.

I took the advice on a lot of reviews from PR about the back. I cut the back bodice and midriff a size smaller, and the elastic 2 sizes smaller. I also self lined the dress due to the recommendation of reviewers. But also b/c this jersey is sooo soft, you want that against your skin.

Oh, and I eliminated the pockets. My jersey was thin and they messed up the line of the dress. so yes, I put them in, and then had to take them out.

Special Note:
I used a border print so I had it took me awhile to decide how I wanted to use it. But I like the end result of how I worked with the pattern. It did take of fabric- I ended up using all 3 yrds I purchased. Plus there is a lot of matching so I had to take extra care with cutting.

Side seam matching:

Photobucket

Conclusion:
Definitely a must sew! I want one for myself. And I want more of this fabric, lol.

Parting Shot:

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Awesome dress and the print is too die for...Great job and I will def be checking in to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sexy dress, Lauren! I can't wait to see the one you sew for yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Google