Lauren's Virtual World

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Cardis, Cardis, and More Cardis

My Mom’s Cardigan
Pattern Used: Simplicity 3634
Fabric Used: Gray Rayon/Poly/Lycra jersey from Spandexworld

My mom told me she wanted a long version with wide sleeves so Simplicity 2603 was not going to work. After going through my pattern stash I decided to use Simplicity 3634 w/ some modifications. I added a long rectangle piece to the neckline and front edge to create a drape and I modified the sleeve to have a bell shape. I also added a belt and belt loops since there weren’t any closures

Front:
Photobucket

Back:
Photobucket

Elastic for Back-neck: I use the elastic casing like in Simplicty 2603.

Photobucket

Inside back collar: I tacked the collar down at the cb and shoulder seams to help control the drape so it wouldn't flop around too much.

Photobucket

Bell Sleeve:
Photobucket

Hem: I left the front edge raw and just folded it in 1/2". Then, I serged the raw edge, mitered the corner, and top stitched the hem with a twin needle. I think it came out very clean.

Photobucket

Inside view:

Photobucket

Cardigan: Simplicity 2603 (again)
Tank: BWOF 11/06 #111
Fabric Used: Hot Pink Rayon/Poly/Lycra jersey from Spandexworld

Ok, I couldn’t do the long, long, long front so I cut my pink one down to the smaller cardi. Much better and much more easier for me to wear. I like non fussy stuff and the long front was just too much.

Photobucket

I also made a tank using a tank pattern from an old BWOF back issue. I usually have to do a sway back adjustment, so I decided to just add a CB seam for shaping. I used the back pattern piece from old school OOP NL 6188 as a guide. This tank is awesome! Well, I could bring the neckline up about 1”. But the fit is amazing. It’s not too tight, not too loose. It's flatteringly fitted and isn’t tight around the “mommy” belly. I also like the arnholes, they’re high and wide in the front so bra straps are not an issue.

Front: (Wow, I really should've steamed this)

Photobucket

Back:

Photobucket

This tank also holds a special place in my heart b/c it’s my first garment completely sewn by my serger and coverstitch. Yeah, I finally broke out the coverstitch and I LOVE it. So much better than twin needle stitching. The tension release can be annoying, but you get used to it. What matters is that it makes a really nice coverstitch.

Black Version: (I promise to steam my stuff before photos from now on)
Fabric Used: Black Rayon/Poly/Lycra jersey from Spandexworld

Photobucket

I wear this one the most b/c well, it’s black. But sewing this was a nightmare. I bought 5 yrds of rayon jersey and I'm almost sure it was defective. It was twisted or something; it was awful. At first, I didn’t realize it. I just didn’t understand why it was acting so crazy during cutout. And then it was behaving really crazy during sewing. After that I thought something might be wrong. When I looked at the fabric yardage again and I realized this must be “twisted” knit or knit off grain. This is my first time running into it and it’s as awful as I've read about! I finished my cardi and just threw the rest away. I was mad, too, b/c I bought so much.

Also, I lost the sleeve to my cardi pattern, so I had to draft my own sleeve. Since my fabric was acting so crazy, I decided to cut off the cuff piece and disregard the tuck. I just finished it w/ a regular twin needle hem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google