Lauren's Virtual World

Monday, February 15, 2010

RTW Knock-off

Inspiration:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Finished Garment:
Photobucket

Photobucket


Yeah, I’m a frumpy work at home mom of a 4 yr old. So this is the type of designer style I copy. Despite the fact that it’s essentially a sweat shirt, I think it has some cool seaming. Plus it looks really cute w/ leggings and boots. BTW, when my daughter saw it, she told my mom I was making an ugly shirt w/ pretty pockets. I think that’s a hint to step my style up, lol.

Pattern: Mccall 4219- an ancient OOP which is basically a knits wardrobe. I used the basic knit tunic as a base.

Photobucket

Fabric Used: Sofia Doubleknit (rayon/ poly/ lycra)

Changes:
Since this pattern was a simple tunic style, I really just used it as a base. I don't have the time to draft from scratch.

- I cut the pattern up to re-create the interesting seaming
-I added the horizontal inseam pockets
-I added a fitted band at the bottom
-I lengthed the pattern
-I did some shaping at the seams so it was not as boxy as the original tunic pattern

I also didn't copy the RTW style exactly. I made mine more fitted and shaped. It's not tight but it's not as baggy as the models. I'm very curvy so I would look terrible if there wasn't any shape. Also the sleeves are more fitted. It's fits me like a shaped tunic. I think mine is a little longer so I could do it w/ leggings. It also looks good w/ fitted jeans like the model is wearing, too. You have to excuse the fit on my dressform. She's a hot mess but she's all I got right now. Also note, she's lopsided, not the garment, lol.

Pocket Detail:
Photobucket

Conclusion:
I like it, it's warm and comfortable. And I did get a much better reaction from my daughter when I wore it w/ leggings and boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google