Lauren's Virtual World

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Late But Why Not...

I know this is all the way from April but I thought I should write about this because it seems like us Black Women have such a hard time finding good quality hair products. In the past we’ve been ignored by big companies, but once they had a chance to see how much money we spend on our hair now everybody wants to come out with a line for Black hair. The problem is, most of the stuff ain’t really all that. And I’m speaking from experience. I decided to go natural about 4-5 years ago and I had to learn how to do my hair all over again. So I’ve tried it all. Expensive stuff, drugstore stuff, stuff raved about it mags, and more. After awhile I finally settled into a routine with what I was using that fit my pocketbook and was good for my hair. But ofcourse the search never seems to be over. You see all these natural styles in magazines and all these curl crèmes that are supposed to do this and that. So although, I’ve settled in a routine, I’m still looking.

Well, Back in April my mom and I went to the Black Hair Expo in Atlanta and I really enjoyed myself, there. It was so great to see a lot of products especially for natural hair as well as a lot of Black owned products. I had a chance to pick up some samples and kits from different brands and I wanted to share one that I really impressed with. And people kept asking me about my hair. How I did it and was I a stylist. I was loving it, lol. I wasn’t expecting to blog about it so I didn’t really take many pics, unfortunately. But it’s something I will keep in mind for next time.

But most importantly about this trip, I found a new brand that I LOVE. It’s called Black Earth by Taliah Waajid. I picked up one of her kits and some samples and I was really impressed with everything I've tried so far. Not to mention her products are reasonably priced. And Taliah is so nice, and beautiful, too. I attended a seminar for children’s hair and my daughter got a chance to get her hair done. Christina loves attention so she was eating it up.




That’s my mom, Tina, and Taliah Waajid.

Here's a quick rundown of the products I’ve tried so far are:

Herbal Stimulating Pre-Shampoo- Don’t know how necessary a pre-shampoo is, but the minty smell is very invigorating in the shower and refreshing on the scalp.

Black Earth Conditioning Shampoo- I love this shampoo and it smells so good. It’s more of a moisturizing shampoo and not really a clarifying type. When I judge shampoos I look for something that will clean my hair, but not leave it too dry.

Herbal Conditioner- Now I’m very picky about conditioners and this one is very good. I think one of the biggest indicators for conditioners is the consistency. This one is very thick and creamy. The conditioner I have now is amazing and I think nothing will ever live up to it for me. But unfortunately the company changed the formula and the new version is terrible. I plan on using this conditioner as a replacement once I run out.

Herbal Strengthener- This is basically grease, but it’s so lightweight and really does add moisture. And there’s no buildup.

Lock It Up- This is locking gel but it’s the best gel I’ve ever used. This is the only thing I’ll use now for my twist. It has a soft hold and absolutely no flaking.

Herbal Detangler- This is a new product she came out with for kids and I was able to pick up some samples. And it’s great. I’m not exactly sure how to describe it but it’s a cross between moisturizer and leave in conditioner. It’s not oily or greasy, in fact it’s really light but it really makes your hair softer and shinier.

Now that’s all I’ve tried so far. I have some more stuff in my kit, but I’m so low maintenance I really don’t use a lot of products or have a big routine.


Her website is at www.naturalhair.org . There, you can find out more about her, her products, and even shop. Hope this helps any sistahs out there trying to find some good hair products.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting! You told me about these products but I forgot all about them and with this organized review it will be easier for me to pick and choose which ones I want to try out.

    ReplyDelete

Google