Lauren's Virtual World

Saturday, March 7, 2009

BWOF 8/08 #133


Pattern Review 



BWOF 8/08 #133

Pattern Rating:  Highly Recommended

Fabric:  Wool Houndstooth

Pattern Description:   From the Burda Mag- “This slightly flared double-breasted étamine jacket has a wide collar and practical pockets.”  My description- Princess seamed, cropped A-line jacket with flared sleeves, and patch pockets, with collar (not sure if I’d consider it wide).  Depending on the button size it can be either single breasted or double breasted.

Pattern Sizing:  Child heights 104 – 128 cm, I used 104 for my 3 yr old

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  It has the same shape and body, but it looks different because of different type of fabric and a few design changes.  

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Didn’t use them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I like the shape of the jacket.  It’s cropped and flared which I think is really cute.  It has such a classic shape but still with some flair.  No real dislikes.  Of course with Burda all the pattern work takes up extra time, but I couldn’t find something similar in the Big 4.  And despite that extra work, I love Burda patterns in general.  Everything fits together so nicely and they really have some great styles.   And it’s really easy, basic jacket construction.

Fabric Used:  B&W wool Houndstooth, poly lining.  I wouldn’t buy something this nice for children’s wear but it was in my stash leftover from a coat I made a few years back.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:  I didn’t use small buttons to make it double breasted; I just used large 3 large buttons.  I lengthened it by 2”.  This pattern is very short; I would recommend adding some length.  It’s very flared and I’m not sure if the proportions look right as short as they made it.   I made a lining pattern and I had to enlarge the pockets.  The ones that came with the pattern are very tiny.  Maybe that proportion works with the original length but I don’t think anything would be able to fit in them.  Just a FYI, the sleeves are very flared as well.  I like the look, but I didn’t realize how flared they were at first. I also didn’t topstitch. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  I would definitely sew this again.  It’s a great template for design changes.  Depending on the fabrication you can make it dressier or more casual.  Or you lengthen it as well or change the pockets.  There are many possibilities.  I don’t have any plans for another one yet, though, because how many coats does a 3 yr old really need.  If it’s too short next year (which it probably will be) I’ll probably make another one.

Conclusion:  My daughter loves her new jacket and believe it or not we’ve gotten some compliments on it.  It’s the perfect weight for Florida’s “winter.” And I’ve found a great jacket pattern for next fall/winter.   

Here she is wearing the jacket.  And I have no idea what's up with the purple gloves.  3-yr olds have their own sense of style, lol.




                                               




1 comment:

  1. OMG, she is looking more like you! I love her coy smile and the jacket is adorable on her. Love you and miss you guys...Auntie Rhonda

    ReplyDelete

Google